Skip to content
Home » Tech » AdWords Optimization | How to Optimize for Bids, CTR, & Landing Page

AdWords Optimization | How to Optimize for Bids, CTR, & Landing Page

AdWords Optimization

As soon as you enable your campaign and Google to approve your ads, you can take a nice deep breath. But there is still some work to be done! Let’s say you are done with 70% of your Google AdWords campaign set up. The remaining 30% is for optimization.

Unfortunately, you can’t relax yet. Most campaigns are not profitable from the start and they always require continual optimization to stay profitable. There are 3 main areas to improve your Google Ads campaign performance:

AdWords Optimization

AdWords Optimization: Keyword Bids

Once you start to generate clicks and sales, then you need to adjust your bids accordingly. If your keywords are generating sales profitably and you’re not ranked #1, then continue to raise your bids. If your keywords are not generating sales profitably, then obviously, you’ll need to lower your bids or pause the keyword entirely.

AdWords Optimization: Ad Click-through Rate (CTR)

As I mentioned earlier, your ad CTR directly affects your quality score, which in turn determines how much you pay per click. To optimize your CTR, test different ads to see which version gets the most clicks.

AdWords Optimization: Landing Page Conversion rate

The final area to optimize is your landing page. There are many tools to help you test different landing page versions, but if you’re just starting out, I recommend you use Google Analytics Experiments (formerly known as Google’s Website Optimizer).

It’s easy and free to get started. Go to Google Analytics to set up your free account. Then create an experiment to test two different versions of your landing page and measure to see which one generates the most conversions.

Creating a Google Ads

  1. Sign in to your Google Ads account.
  2. From the page menu on the left, click Campaigns.
  3. Click the plus button, then select a new campaign.
  4. Select one or more goals for your campaign, or if none of the goals fit what you’re looking for, select Create a campaign without a goal’s guidance. (If this step doesn’t reflect what you’re seeing in your account, select a campaign type first then select a goal)
  5. Select a campaign type.
  6. Click Continue.
  7. Select your campaign settings. Learn about each setting.
  8. Click Save and continue.


By now your Google Ads campaign should be set up so you’re focused on optimizing keyword bids, ad click-through rates, and landing page conversion rates.

If you follow the steps here and include all our best practices in your upcoming campaign, then you will be well on your way to a profitable Google Ads campaign. If you need help with setting up your initial campaigns or paid search strategies, feel free to use the comment box below.

Social Media: Facebook, Twitter, Wikipedia, LinkedIn, Pinterest