GIMP & Photoshop always come to bear when discussing photo and image editing software. Although GIMP has unique features that stand it out as the best open-source image editing software on the planet, plus being a free photo software but users still prefer photoshop. So, if GIMP is so good, why does everyone use Photoshop?
GIMP & Photoshop | Why People Use Photoshop
GIMP has been adjudged as a world-class image editor but despite housing good features and being free, users still prefer to buy the $700 Photoshop. While we look at this software, we will also know why people use Photoshop against GIMP. These are the reasons;
- Marketing – Adobe undoubtedly has a large marketing budget, which they put to good use.
- You learn on Photoshop – Most design classes use Photoshop; once out of school, why learn a lesser-known software that does the same thing?
- Advanced features – It can do more than most hobbyists would ever need, but Photoshop can still do more.
- Photoshop is the industry-standard – Photoshop is the most established photo editing software in the professional world. It’s what’s expected of professional firms.
- Photoshop integrates with other Adobe products – From Acrobat to Illustrator, InDesign to Dreamweaver, Photoshop integrates seamlessly with other Adobe Creative Suite products.
- Lack of GIMP support and tutorials – There are tutorials and excellent forums for GIMP users, yes, but not near the volume you’ll find for Photoshop users, including professional Adobe support.
- Mistrust of open-source – Perception that open source is always distributed with spyware or susceptible to crashes and data loss can turn some users off, whether the perception is valid or not.
- Minimal investment – For the startup or hobbyist, the price of Photoshop might be a barrier to entry. But for established professional design firms, the price of Photoshop and the entire Creative Suite represents an investment with an expected return. Spending a few thousand dollars on software every few years is anticipated, and minimal given the fact that a single job might pay for the purchase.
- The above reasons justify why users prefer to use Photoshop to GIMP, despite the high rated nature of it. They are good image editing software.