GIMP & Photoshop always come to bare when discussing photo and image editing softwares. Although GIMP has unique features that stands it out as the best open source image editing software on the planet, plus being a free photo software but users still prefer photoshop. So, if GIMP is so good, why does everyone use Photoshop?
GIMP & Photoshop | Why People Use Photoshop
GIMP has been adjudged as a world class image editor but despite housing good features and being free, users still prefer to buy the $700 Photoshop. While we look at these softwares, we will also know why people use Photoshop against GIMP. These are the reasons;
- Marketing – Adobe undoubtedly has a large marketing budget, which they put to good use.
- You learn on Photoshop – Most design classes use Photoshop; once out of school, why learn a lesser-known software that does the same thing?
- Advanced features – It can do more than most hobbyists would ever need, but Photoshop can still do more.
- Photoshop is the industry standard – Photoshop is the most established photo editing software in the professional world. It’s what’s expected of professional firms.
- Photoshop integrates with other Adobe products – From Acrobat to Illustrator, InDesign to Dreamweaver, Photoshop integrates seamlessly with other Adobe Creative Suite products.
- Lack of GIMP support and tutorials – There are tutorials and excellent forums for GIMP users, yes, but not near the volume you’ll find for Photoshop users, including professional Adobe support.
- Mistrust of open source – Perception that open source is always distributed with spyware or susceptible to crashes and data loss can turn some users off, whether the perception is valid or not.
- Minimal investment – For the startup or hobbyist, the price of Photoshop might be a barrier to entry. But for established professional design firms, the price of Photoshop and the entire Creative Suite represents an investment with an expected return. Spending a few thousand dollars on software every few years is anticipated, and minimal given the fact that a single job might pay for the purchase.
- The above reasons justify why users prefer to use Photoshop to GIMP, despite the high rated nature of it. They are good image editing softwares.